We
are at home now and the wine bottle is empty. Katie is staying put, wrapped up
in that cheap fluffy white dressing gown that her mother recently bought for
her. She is royally pissed off with me. Yes, I let her down again by spending
too much time in North Staffordshire decoupling from the scent and touch of
Lydia’s body. It was about nine when I
got back to the flat and too late for the cinema and now have been sitting here
together for two painful hours; Katie the stoic and John the penitent. The ’Exorcist
II: The Heretic’ on the television. I’ve
had enough, ‘I am off to bed.’ Her head does not move, she is playing deaf as
she stares at the plasma screen. ‘Fuck you.’
The T.V. is louder than usual; hollers and
screams pass through the ceiling and shake the light fittings. Katie can
sometimes be vindictive and petulant. Childish even but I let her moment and then
undress. In hindsight, I must have
fallen asleep quickly as I cannot remember any nightmares, happy dreams, sad
dreams, images of people – Katie, Lydia – they were not there but there was
something…something…
At first it’s just a feint noise, building and
bubbling in my ears like water coming to the boil. Shadows are roaming around
our room. Absurd questions are spoken from a black mouth, ‘drugs, what drugs
you have you taken?’ What am I thinking?
Confused, I am unable to answer back. My jawbone feels like it has been hit
repeated by someone who does not want me to ever speak again. I am paralysed. In the dust and the dirt with
the mites and dead skin. Down and out. My thoughts in tatters. Concepts of time
and place are absent. The harder I try to think the less I understand. They
lift me from the floor, put me in the chair and tighten the belt and things
fall into place; a pile of clothes, the print on the wall, the book by the bed,
jewellery neatly arranged on the dressing table. However, the focal point of
this neat bedroom arrangement is the bed itself, the yellow mattress, which
yesterday, I could have sworn was white.
I am regaining consciousness and a
semblance of order but it is fragile, thin and brittle, poised to tilt into
something so much worse.
They
carry me down the steps and the panic heightens and spread all over me like a
childhood rash. Down on the dimly lit street the ambulance patiently waits.
Calm voices pass me over the threshold but the panic is growing and everything
is beginning to unfold before me. I start to associate objects with their
functions and their intentions: heart monitor, plastic tubing for aspiration,
hypodermic syringes, blue gloves, neck braces and collars and lastly, the
oxygen mask that they are trying to force upon my face. I am in free-fall. The
plane is coming down and nothing can stop the momentum, the descent of
accelerated time. I am crashing with no one to rescue me and set me down
outside of the panic, the fear, the terror of the hunter on my trail. I am
over. Extinguished; the smell of death and cordite is everywhere. And yet, amid
all the chaos, a part of my brain is still processing and asking some very big
questions –
‘I am only thirty three years old and
I am too young to die.’
‘I believe in you God. Where are you?’
‘
‘Where is he? The Man on the Cross? I
need his comfort. I need his words.’
‘Why aren’t the scenes from my life
replaying? Come on, someone promised me. Childhood. Youth?’
‘I will be okay someone will save me won’t
they?’ ‘Mum, Dad, Katie?’
But
the dread returns, stronger and more potent and I plead and I say to anyone who
is listening,
‘I do not want to die not now, it is too
early.’
A siren wails and the blue lights
pulsate and makes patterns on the windows. I am conscious but I am waiting,
guarding against that sudden swoon that will make my heart stutter and stammer
and suddenly stop. My eyes are like suckers, locked onto the monitors, to the
peaks, the troughs and the oxygen levels. These are my lifelines and I watch
over them and guard them. I am controlling them and keeping them steady. There
is no one else but me and my body. I work with it and calm it down. Doors fly
open and the lines move faster across the screen as the warm night air rushes
into the van. Gently and carefully, they set me down on solid ground. The stars
overhead are shining like silver pinheads in a sky made of black carbon
paper. I leave them behind and pass
through the hospital doors and into a bright and polished light. The doors
close behind, life is returning but everything has changed, and I know that
nothing will ever be the same again.
A nude coloured curtain shades me from
whatever is going on outside. Katie is with me, her eyes are full of tears and
the look on her face is disturbing. Her expression is one of pure fear. I don’t
want her near me. She is making everything worse. I try to ask her what she is
looking at but the words remain inside my mouth. I have the words in my head,
but I cannot force them out. Language is internal and cannot be spoken. The
frustration that I feel is deeply embedded like a splinter beneath my skin that
cannot be eased out. I want to scream but my tongue will not make the necessary
shapes to call out. Her pupils are shrinking; now it looks like its Katie who
is dying. She is the one that’s passing out.
Speech
returns and takes me by complete surprise. ‘Katie, what has happened to me?’
Her eyes widen and reveal two black orbs of recognition. Her pale hand with her
long fingers interweaves with mine and I strengthen my grip so hard that she
winces and visibly struggles to stifle a scream. I will not let her go; I am so
frightened by the fear that a sudden gust of panic will disturb the newly
granted calm that has settled about me. I question her again, ‘Kate, what has
happened to me?’ However, she will not tell me, she is dumbstruck; it is too
much for her as she reaches yet again for the comfort of her midriff.
The curtain rustles and opens wide
to reveal a small, squat, young nurse. The first thing that I notice about her
is ridiculous, but a sign that I am regaining some kind of normality. As she
bends over me I assess her hair and decide it needs a wash and that the hideous
and gaudy scrunchy that is pulling tightly on her hair has to go for both our
sakes. I hold up my arm and she cuffs me, numbers rise and fall and bottom out.
Katie and I sit in suspense for something profound to fall from her lips and
when it does, I know exactly where I am –
‘Da ya wanna a cuppa tae mate?’
The Black Country. Not home. Not
Brindley Place. Not Birmingham. I ask Katie why am here, ‘Walsall Manor
Hospital WS2,’ and she gives me a garbled explanation about a bed shortage. I
listen, and drink the scalding tea that the scrunchy beheaded nurse, who has
now taken up residence on my bed, has given me. The ‘cuppa tae’ tastes surprisingly
good, the best that I have ever drunk perhaps. The three of sit in cosy
collusion before the young nurse speaks up and readies her papers. The young
nurse explains that these are routine questions, universal, and it’s all just
procedural stuff. I ask again, ‘what has happened to me,’ but she cannot
provide an answer, ‘she’s not qualified,’ however, she feels that she has the
right to ask me as to whether I piss or shit myself. Katie recognises that I am
losing my patience and asks me to calm down but no one is getting this. I lean
back on the pillow and for some unknown reason I have a vision of Picasso’s
‘Three Dancers,’ a print that hangs on our bedroom wall. ‘Love, sex and death.’
I don’t want to be here anymore. The intensity of my thoughts are breaking me
down into pieces and all I want to do is to leave this place and get back to
yesterday and its certainty but my past is slowly being effaced and binned. The
little nurse asks me if I am ‘okay’ as she attaches a paper bracelet around my
wrist that has my name and a number printed upon it. Little do I know that this
alphanumeric tag will be with me for the remainder of my days – it will be my
emblem, my coat of arms, a virtual tattoo that will be ingrained and absorbed
into the National Health Service.
I am sitting quietly when the curtain opens
again. The nurse seizes her chance and exits quickly. He is tall, six feet may
be, sub-continentally thin, his hirsute arms protrude from his powder blue
theatre scrubs as his spidery fingers leaf quickly through my admission notes
and then he starts coughing. A deep tubercular rattle. I hear him curse under
his breath. Eventually he regains composure –
‘Sharma, my name is Doctor Sharma.’
His rubber theatre clogs squeak as he navigates his way around my bed. Sharma
raises a finger as though he about to scold me for a childish prank or bad
behaviour. ‘Can you please concentrate on the bridge of my nose?’ The nose is
long and fragile but in proportion with the rest of his facial features. He
moves his finger across my field of vision and ignores the bleeping noise
coming from inside his upper chest pocket. ‘Reflexes.’ The doctor calls for the
scrunchy nurse. ‘I need a hammer.’ The trust that he had implanted in me upon
his arrival is now slowly starting to ebb away. She returns with a hammer.
‘This is a Queens Square reflex hammer. Important.’ Grinning, he takes up his
stick and taps away at my knee joints before scrapping the soles of my feet
with the handle of the hammer. ‘Okay.’ A tone of disappointment creeps in to
his voice. ‘Any allergies?’ I shake my head. ‘Can you describe what happened to
you? Precisely please.’ He listens and his bleep goes off again. ‘Okay, I’ll
come back to you but in all likelihood, you will need to be admitted. I could
send you home but if what you say is true we best err on the side of caution.’
I feel a warm hand cover mine and Katie pipes up –
‘Is that it? Is that all you can say?
Can we have another opinion? Someone else. Get someone else to see him?’ I’ve
never seen Katie as animated and as passionate as this but the tired nocturnal
fellow is taking it full on the chin as he’s heard all protestations and pleas
before. He lets my Katie finish and then he leaves us behind and I understand
completely why he is leaving us behind. On the other side of the curtain, the
whole place has suddenly erupted into pandemonium; the night clubbers have arrived
and all I can hear is moaning, retching and crying but there is one voice, that
cuts clean through the noise and it seems to speak directly to me – ‘he has
sown the wind and he will reap the whirlwind.’ I place my hands over my ears
and smile. Lewis Hyde is calling me.
No comments:
Post a Comment