As I try to shave one of the purple
spotlights above the bathroom sink has started to flicker. I can’t face Hyde
with a bad shave. Everything must be right when we go face to face. I can’t
afford to show him a single flaw. I take
a cold rollerball pen to the bags beneath my eyes and apply anti-ageing
moisturiser over my face and neck. I stare hard into the mirror, at the grey
hairs that have secretly infiltrated my black crew-cut overnight, at the deep
creases that I am unable to smooth away. I am thirty-three now but look about
forty. I will look even worse when the kid arrives. That’s what kid’s do isn’t
it, make you feel old, make you grow up? Well, we shall see. Katie does not
move whilst I am dressing. Today, I go for the most expensive business clothes
that I possess: Eton sky blue shirt with black onyx cufflinks, a Brioni navy
blue suit, a thin silk black tie and a pair of Berlutti shoes that I have worn
only once. The clothes are ostentatious, clichéd I know, expensive cloth and
leather, worn only to serve one point and that is to show Mr Hyde that I am
superior to him in every way.
With my car keys and my Blackberry in my suit
pocket, I descend the stairs down towards the pavement. The street is quiet and
soulless. The sky is a passive, a pale blue grey. I call the car with my key and open the heavy
silver door. The car’s interior smells of stale tobacco, which reminds me that
I need to stop at some point to buy a packet of cigarettes. The nausea, which
had been dormant throughout the night has freed itself again and gets worse
with every movement that I make. However, I have a feeling that this time
tomorrow, when Hyde and the North are finally dealt with and this psychodrama
has come to its end, that my symptoms will have cleared but until then it’s
just a matter of clinging on until the close of play.
The M6 had been kind to me this
morning until I reach Junction 14. The traffic has frozen and a column of thick
black smoke is now gently twisting up into the air. Emergency services career
up the hard shoulder on the Southern carriageway. It’s 7.15 and I need the
crawl to become a sprint. I come off the motorway at Stafford Services with the
hope that when I re-join it I will be looking at clear road. I pull up at a
pump and head for the shop where I buy a packet of fruit pastilles, a packet of
Durex, Rennies, a tuna and mayonnaise sandwich and twenty cigarettes. The kid
who serves me at the counter stares at the diversity of merchandise I have
dumped down in front of him. I check out his name badge; ‘Mo.’ He scans the
condoms first and smiles, the pastilles and so on but it’s all too much for me.
‘They’re for the kids, they’re off to a festival.’ Mo rises up on his tip-toes
and looks over at the empty BMW; ‘any fuel sir?’ I remain silent; my impatience
is growing, as the transaction seems to take an age to complete. I then attempt to pay with my fuel card. Mo
smiles again. I gather my purchases and he bids me goodbye. As I am walking out
the shop, I raise my elbow slightly and knock a stack of neatly arranged column
of high-energy drinks to the floor. As the commotion caused by the tins stops,
I clear my throat and in my best supervisory voice, I say, ‘Best clear them up
Mo. You’ve got customers waiting and as you’ve been undoubtedly been taught the
customer is king.’
In the car, I turn the cigarette
carton over in my hands and for once, it’s not the picture of the man with his
throat cut but a picture of a premature baby with wires protruding from its
chest. I ignore the message and wonder if I now have the full pictorial set.
I leave the motorway at Junction 18. The sky
is slate grey, the early morning sun has disappeared, light rain specks the
windscreen, the temperature in the car has dropped by a degree, as I drive
alongside miles and miles of flat dirt fields to the now defunct factory and
toward the near redundant Lewis Hyde.
Hyde is in his office affixing white
labels to brown boxes and does not seem notice that I am standing in the
doorway behind him.
‘I can feel your breath on my neck
John. I’ll make us a coffee. Machine’s gone so it’s instant okay? Suppose
you’ll be taking the kettle back to Birmingham with you as well?’ The Rennies
have not done the trick, the nausea is back and my gut is churning. He hands me
a cup of scalding black coffee in a floppy white plastic cup.
‘Good journey?’ I avoid the question
and ask him to sit down. Sitting there, he looks like a big red bloodhound;
corpulent, dewlapped, tomato red hair and bulging green eyes. He fingers his
Disney necktie as I formulate the best way of breaking the bad news to him.
‘Well.’ He thinks he knows what’s
coming before I have even started. ‘John, I know what’s coming. You can’t
afford me can you? Look I’ll take a very, very minor cut in salary if you give
me a lump sum similar to the maximum redundancy figure and if you also buy out
my remaining holiday entitlement.’ He wants cash; about eight grand. Well,
he’ll get that anyway as soon as he is jobless. Problem solved.
‘Lewis there is no job for you.’
‘What. Come again. Did I hear you
right. ’ His brow glistens with sweat as he tries to wrestle with the reality
of a new set of circumstances. Puzzled; he looks at me in absolute disbelief.
‘Come again.’ I do not repeat myself. Louder. ‘Come again?’ Like a mad mynah
bird he keep repeating himself over and over again. ‘Come again? There’s no job
in Birmingham. No job?’ The pennies are dropping one by one, falling ever
quicker, until they drop in one almighty cascade of realisation.
‘I have two kids. Do you have kids?’ I
answer in the negative. ‘Well without kids you are nothing. Without kids you
are not living and mine are with my wife and not me. You know, I wanted to
offer her something, a new life in a new place, put the past behind us but you
have ruined all that. You have ruined me. Tricked and used me. Well played
John!’ He gave me a sarcastic round of applause. The falling rain beat out a
hollow tattoo on the factory roof as Hyde raised his voice, ‘shot by both
sides, played like a gud’un. Fucked
over. I have given ten years to this company and its people. I’ve done the
extra miles for the old man and his retarded playboy son and what do I end up
with.’ There is a pause as we both listen to the falling rain. ‘You know
there’s just you and me here John.’ The atmosphere in the office has suddenly changed.
‘The security guard will be on the far side of the building at the moment.
That’s a good ten minutes’ walk back to here. You could have an accident John,
a little mishap in the loading bay.’ He stands up and puts his blazer back on
and walks around the desk, ‘don’t worry I’m not going to hurt you.’ He pushes
passed me, turns around and stands in the doorway facing me. ‘John, do you know
what, I hope that you have a real shit life. What you have done will all come
back to you, twice as hard. God help you my friend.’ I reach for a cigarette
but I have left them in the car.
‘Lydia where are you?’
‘North Midlands – I have a meeting
with a client at twelve.’ The signal drops out and then she returns. ‘Junction
14. What’s up?’ Our signals get lost briefly in a roar of lost words. ‘Lydia,
Lydia.’ She comes back with a postcode and I punch it into the sat-nav and wait
for the map to appear. ‘Okay, I’ve got you. See you in a bit.’
My head is a mess as I keep replaying
the scenes from of an hour ago. I try to rationalize the fear that I felt in
Hyde’s office but I can’t shake off the feeling that something bad is going to
happen now. I turn on Radio 3 and try to relax but everything that he has said
comes biting back. The pre-Bank holiday traffic is thickening, caravans and
mobile homes clog up the inner lanes. I call the office and give Forsyth an
edited version of my meeting with Hyde. There are no thanks, no well done or
‘we owe you one John’ all I get is some long winded speech about how he’s
already identified the next target, the next strip before he starts to reel off
all the details of where he is holidaying over the next week. The sky blackens
up, a sharp shower pounds the roof of the car and Forsyth’s voice crackles and disappears.
The sat-nat delivers me to another
grey industrial estate in Cannock. Amongst the parked cars, I spot the Amazon
green Nissan 370z Roadster. Eventually I see Lydia walking across the tarmac
towards my car, dressed as usual in black trouser suit, a laptop case in one
hand, a lever-arch file in a head lock under her other arm, she raps on the
window and sits down in the rear of the car. She brushes her blue-black hair
from her eyes and puts it into a ponytail. We swap plastic ‘hellos’ and
précis’s of what we have been doing. We both know what will happen next; I slip
my hand between her thighs and she raises her eyebrows as if to say ‘what do
you think you are doing.’ I will kiss her hard on the mouth and she will resist.
I will touch her breast, she will scold me, and on it goes.
We arrive in our separate cars at a
Travelodge in Rugely and book a double room. After an hour of textbook book sex
we are finished. Our meetings are getting shorter and the sex is becoming
studied and staid. Lydia rises from the thick white linen sheets and goes to
the bathroom. After about ten minutes she returns with her make-up
re-established –
‘You okay John; you look a little green
around the gills.’ I study her as she takes up her jewellery from the bedside
cabinet – a ring for the right thumb, a cherry red garnet on right hand index
finger, a gold band and a big coral coloured stone pendant, which she hangs
deftly around her neck.
‘Things haven’t been too good
workwise. You know how it is?’
‘But you weren’t like this yesterday.
You were, you know, really into it. Today you seem distant. Disinterested.
Inconsiderate.’
‘What are trying to say? That I was
rubbish today is that what you mean.’ She quickly buttons up her white chintz
blouse, pulls up her trousers and put her heels on.
‘John there’s something that I have to
tell you.’ The day was getting worse by degrees; first Hyde and now Lydia. ‘I
can’t see you anymore. I’m seeing someone one else. It’s a proper relationship,
you know one that I think could last. I’m not getting any younger and whilst I
enjoy what we have, I need some stability in my life. Christ, I am tired of living on my own and I
know John that you have someone as well don’t you? I can smell her on your skin
when we sleep together.’
Naked I walk over to her and rest my
hands on her shoulders.
‘What, that’s it? Just like that. You can’t do that. We can’t
stop. We have an agreement?’
‘Not anymore we don’t.’
I squeeze her shoulders with my
thumbs. Two red marks are left behind. She struggles and tells me to stop. The
sick games are over. But I can’t stop I clamp my hand around my windpipe and
throttle her. She slaps me across my face and I feel one of her rings brush my
cheek. I push her back toward the bathroom door. She stumbles and falls, and
bangs her head against the plywood door and the noise resonates all around the
small space and finally peters out.
There were no tears on either side; it
was a cold and emotionless parting of the ways. I watched from behind the thick
net curtain as she confidently strode across the car park with her phone to her
ear. I sat on the unmade and waited for ten minutes to call her again. I rang
three times and got her voice mail. I listened to her voice, to her clean and
clipped words, a neutral colourless language so different from the filth that
she used to whisper in my ear.
I hold the phone tightly in my hand and I delete
her existence.
No comments:
Post a Comment